Monday, February 17, 2014

Chocolate fest

Today I made three desserts from Rachael Ray's top 25 chocolate recipes list:
1. Hot Cocoa Cookies
19. Subtly Spicy Chocolate Brownies
23. Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Bars

I saw these cookies in the December 2011 issue, but didn't end up saving the recipe. But G picked them out from the top 25 list. It make sense, because his all-time favorite cookie recipe is for s'more cookies, which are basically this same thing except with graham cracker chocolate chip cookie instead of chocolate cookie. Like the s'more cookies, these cookies bake a few minutes before getting topped. They're topped with a piece of chocolate and half a marshmallow. The chocolate melts and stays melty and gooey for quite a while. I like the cookies best without the top, but G liked these. I think he liked them the best of these 3 desserts.

The brownies are called "subtly spicy" but they're neither subtle nor spicy. They have chili powder, which isn't spicy, but smokey. Maybe they meant spice-y? And it's a decently strong flavor. Chili and chocolate go together, I guess-- I know I've seen chili recipes that call for chocolate. But I think it's more common to have chocolate go with actual spicy things like red pepper or something. Anyway, these were interesting. People were eager to taste them, but not that eager to have seconds. I wouldn't make it again.

 This truffle bar is like a brownie, but I guess it's meant to be a little more moist and ganachey. I ended up baking this quite a bit longer than called for, because it kept seeming like it failed the toothpick test. I think it's supposed to be a little undercooked though, and so it ended up a bit dry. I really liked it though! It's a brownie covered in melted chocolate and topped with raspberries. I would definitely make this one again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment