Sunday, April 7, 2013

Month 3 day 5: Peach-ginger ham and biscuits

Today I made:
Ginger-Peach Glazed Ham, Food Network Magazine April 2010
Dill Chive Biscuits with Honey Butter, Food Network Magazine April 2010
Served with leftover cabbage/apples and steamed green beans


I have never prepared ham before, so I was kind of confused. Was this supposed to be for pre-cooked ham? It seems like everything in the store is already fully-cooked. Somehow it seemed like it was supposed to be for raw ham, but we bought a cooked one, so I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't do the brining part; I don't think I would've had a big enough container anyway. Instead, I just followed the instructions on the ham on how to heat it. The ham actually came with its own glaze, so I put that on half and the ginger-peach on the other half. G said he couldn't tell the difference, but my glaze was really mustardy (more than peachy or gingery), and their glaze was really sweet (and smelled cinnamony when I was putting it on, but not as much in the final product). I guess both glazes were fine... it's mostly on the outer side anyway, so you can't taste it that much on the inside parts.

The magazine recipe was for dill biscuits, but we didn't have dill. We did have some chives, so I put those in along with some cheddar. The honey butter is kind of nice.

Yup, not much else to say about that. We have a lot of leftover ham now.

1 comment:

  1. Why would someone brine a ham? Aren't they salty enough?

    ReplyDelete