Monday, March 4, 2013

Month 2 day 1: Maple and Soy Glazed Flank Steak with Silky Sesame Cucumbers and Scallion Noodles

It is already Month 2!

This month, there are five issues:

  • Cooking Light, March 2010
  • Food Network Magazine, March 2010
  • Cooking Light, March 2011
  • Every Day with Rachael Ray 2012
  • Saveur, March 2012
There were a ton of recipes to choose from, so it was difficult to pare it down to the number of days I have to cook. Some weekends are going to have breakfast recipes too. I'm excited to make corned beef and cabbage, which G loves, and then use the leftovers for St. Patrick's Day corned beef hash breakfast, which G loves maybe even more. I won't be cooking much from Saveur-- I am a bit intimidated by recipes with more than a few unknown ingredients, and there just aren't enough weekends when I have more than an hour to cook. I made a cake from this issue once which was great, so maybe I'll try another one this month. Anyway, I'm looking forward to cooking these recipes.

Today I made:
  • Maple and Soy Glazed Flank Steak, Cooking Light March 2010
  • Silky Sesame Cucumbers, Cooking Light March 2010
  • Scallion Noodles, Cooking Light March 2010


This was one of Cooking Light's fast meals where they pair a main with sides. I think it did come together in the suggested 40 minutes. We don't own a broiler pan, so I put a cookie rack on top of a cookie sheet and called it a day. Unfortunately our cookie racks are funky and get warped in the oven, so just a couple minutes after putting the steak in we heard a big pop. The juices kept getting charred at the bottom of the pan. This will suck to clean.

G wasn't a fan-- he said it was just ok-- but he was also in a bad mood already when he said that, so maybe it's better than that. I thought it was fine, like teriyaki beef. The sides were nice too. I'm not a big steak person, so I might try this marinade with chicken, tofu, salmon, or something sometime. It's not particularly maple-y though, which is too bad because that would've been an interesting flavor for a meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment