Saturday, March 16, 2013

Month 2, day 6: Slow-Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage



Today I made:
I'm not really into corned beef and cabbage, but G really likes it, and especially looks forward to having corned beef hash in the morning. We made this St. Patty's Day dish a bit early just so that we could leisurely make corned beef hash the next day without having to rush to work.
This recipe is for corned beef in the slow cooker, so by the time we got home it had been boiling away for hours. Everything was very tender, and the vegetables were super salty from the beef's brine. Strangely, the beef didn't come with pickling spices (as the recipe assumed), so we were kind of on our own. We googled a recipe and realized that while we didn't have everything, we had enough to get the main flavors.We added black peppercorns, coriander, red pepper flakes, ground allspice, a smear of grey poupon (in place of mustard seeds!), cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves, cloves, and ground ginger.

After dinner we decided to try to bake something. I found an almond tuiles recipe to make. They are supposed to be round as shown on the food network page:

But that did not work for us. I think my "heaping tablespoons" were too large too, because this made nowhere near 4 dozen cookies for us. They did not wrap well around a spoon handle, and instead just cracked. I decided to leave the last ones just round:

 

They are very sweet, and very buttery. G thinks they taste like an egg. I think they taste like store-bought sugar cookies. I don't know if that is a good thing. They are ok, but if I'm going to bake with almond flour I would rather make French macarons.

No comments:

Post a Comment