Friday, December 13, 2013

Month 11 day 6: Two-tone enchiladas

Today I made:
Christmas-Style Stacked Enchiladas, Food Network Magazine December 2009


These enchiladas look really great in the magazine, but the recipe is pretty weird actually. For example, the red sauce has 1 cup of chili powder and 5 cups of water, and ends up being as liquidy as you might expect (it simmers for just 15 minutes, so it's not like it reduces too much). But the whole thing is baked on a baking sheet, so it's kind of a problem to have a lot of liquid! I wish I had just made like 2/5 c chili powder in 2 cup of water. I guess I will freeze the left over "sauce" for the next time I made chili. Another thing about the recipe I thought was scary is that the green sauce has 3 4-oz cans of green chile peppers AND 1.5 teaspoons of red pepper flakes. Normally recipes call for like 1/4 tsp and are plenty hot! Since I've been burned (literally) in the past by canned green chiles, I decided to use just 2 cans and put in a full can of tomatoes instead of one cup. I just did a sprinkling of red pepper flakes. With these modifications, the sauce was still punchy but not overwhelming.
The enchiladas are supposed to be topped with a fried egg, but I don't like runny yolks, so I did more of a bit of a scramble. G thought the egg was a good touch. We have just a small amount of enchiladas left, but we do have a decent amount of each sauce, so I think we'll have that on scrambled eggs tomorrow for breakfast.

By the way, "Christmas-style" just refers to the fact that there's both a green sauce and a red sauce. It doesn't really have anything to do with the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment