Friday, June 21, 2013

Month 5 day 11: Sausage+polenta and muffins

Today I made:
Parmesan Polenta and Spicy Sausage Sauce, Cooking Light May 2011
Tuscan Lemon Muffins, Cooking Light May 2011

I planned to make a different recipe today, either one for Asiany tuna or one for halibut with peach salsa, depending on the availability of ripe peaches. But by the time I got to the grocery store the fishmonger was closed up for the evening so that didn't work out. I remembered that there was some polenta tomatoey recipe with sausage, and figured I probably had most of the necessary ingredients at home as long as I picked up some tomatoes and sausage. I thought I remembered the word "spicy" in the title so I bought spicy sausage, although when I got home I realized the spice is from red pepper, and it was supposed to be sun-dried tomato chicken sausage. I cut up a few sun-dried tomatoes to put in the sauce and didn't put the full amount of pepper to make up for it. I didn't have fresh basil or oregano, so I used dried. This was a good recipe, and I think G would like it too, so I will save it. We enjoy polenta! But I didn't think that the Parmigiano-Reggiano flavor made it through, so next time I would either add more or just use normal (cheaper) parmesan cheese. The sausage was good!

After dinner I made lemon muffins. They're made with ricotta cheese and olive oil! It's a bit unusual, but they are very soft and moist. The lemon flavor is actually pretty subtle, even though it has a full lemon's worth of zest and juice. It could use more though.

I meant to eat salad too, but ended up eating muffins instead :-P Does it count as a vegetable if it is in a flower cup?

1 comment:

  1. Carl made a lemon bread with olive oil recently and it was not well received. We played for a Respite by the River last night which highlighted the new peach cookbook by the Mas Masamoto family. It was so wonderful to hear them talk about their love of peaches. Carl got to help make peach slices wrapped in basil and proscuitto---amazing!

    ReplyDelete