Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Month 5 day 3: Pork and peaches

Today I made:
Skillet Pork Chop Saute with Peaches, Cooking Light June 2011

Today's dinner is brought to you by the color brown
Today's dinner was a little monotone, but we had more of the Thai salad for lunch, so I think that makes up for it. These "ripe-and-ready" peaches were totally hard, but after a few minutes boiling in the wine-broth mixture, they were juicy and very sweet, just like the peaches in cobbler. I always thought that was sweet from the added sugar, but apparently cooked peaches are over-the-top sweet on their own. It was a little much. This was also a pretty salty dish, even though I didn't add anything more than a sprinkle on the pork. But I think cooking wine usually has some in it, and of course chicken broth does as well. It got very concentrated in the peaches too-- so in addition to being super sweet, they were also very salty. The broth flavor reminded me of beef stroganoff... although now that I look up a few recipes for that, I don't think they have much in common. It also tasted like it should be a fall dish. I do think I like apples and pork together more. In a few months, I bet using this same recipe with apples would be delicious.
Anyway, this was a very fast, flavorful dinner. We like orzo a lot too.

No comments:

Post a Comment