Saturday, June 22, 2013

Month 5 day 12: Monkfish with peach salsa

Today I made:
Grilled Halibut Monkfish with Peach and Pepper Salsa, Cooking Light June 2010
with white corn cheesy grits


This was a nice recipe. Shaw's miraculously had ripe peaches-- this never happens. They've been making my room smell amazing and I've been enjoying eating them, so I was almost hesitant to use the rest of them up on this, especially since it uses a habanero pepper and I thought there was a chance I might not be able to eat it :-P A good number of the reviews say that it was way too spicy, although I didn't taste much spice at all. It makes me a little paranoid that all the pepper was at the bottom of the bowl and I will get it tomorrow, but hopefully it will be ok. It's very fresh and delicious.

I walked to Whole Foods for the fish since I was getting a late start and the Shaw's fishmonger closes early. This recipe calls for halibut, but WF didn't have any. They had monkfish and I was curious. The fishmonger said that it tastes like lobster. I'm not a huge lobster fan, but I decided to just try it for fun. The taste isn't really similar at all, but the texture is. It was a very mild flavor-- I think people who don't normally like fish would be fine with monkfish.

The bad thing about monkfish is that raw monkfish looks just awful:
Like some harvested organ or something. Luckily it is more appetizing once cooked through.

I wanted to eat this with cous cous, but we were out, so I went with grits instead. I picked up some robusto cheese at WF so I put some of that in at the last moment to melt.

1 comment:

  1. You should see what a whole monkfish looks like! They are a big squat angler fish. I wonder who realized they were edible.

    ReplyDelete