Thursday, September 19, 2013

Month 8 day 15: Steamed fish and braised kale

Today I made:
Steamed Wild Striped Bass Bluefish with Ginger and Scallions, Food & Wine September 2010
Braised Greens with Tomatoes, Food & Wine September 2010


I've been cooking from F&W a lot lately! In addition to the feature on Southern cooking, there is also a feature on "An Indie Chef's Greatest Hits," which was the source of yesterday's chicken recipe, today's fish recipe, and this weekend's pork belly recipe (if we can find pork belly and tamarind concentrate). This steamed fish is very easy and fast, yet is flavorful from all of the fragrant ingredients. I would definitely make this again. There was no bass at Shaw's, and I asked the lady at the fish counter which would be the most similar. She called over someone else, who called over someone else, who called over someone else, who "likes fish" and was actually incredibly knowledgable. He suggested to use bluefish. It looks dark and purplish when raw, but it ends up very light when cooked. It was moist yet flakey.

The braised kale was meh. I'm just not that into cooked tomatoes, I guess. I would prefer fresh ones, especially when they are sunburst tomatoes, nature's popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment