Thursday, September 26, 2013

Month 8 day 19: Not-so-cheesy-mac-n-cheese

Today I made:
Creamy, Light Macaroni and Cheese, Cooking Light September 2011
Served with red-pepper and garlic kale and some desserts from Flour Bakery

The picture is from my new iPhone! How does it look?

We made this large recipe because we were joined by the rest of our cohorts from the executive council of our dorm from 2011. One of us has since graduated and moved away, but he visits every once in a while, so it is nice to get the group back together to catch up. We all enjoy no longer having to worry about how things are going in the dorm :)

This was a "recipe makeover" by Cooking Light-- normal mac-n-cheese normally has ~900 calories (really??), but this one has 390. Because, its orange flavor comes basically entirely from butternut squash. They used fat-free milk (I used whole milk), a little bit of yogurt, and then the cheeses are Gruyere, pecorino Romano (I used mostly Romano of the non-pecorino variety, since we don't like that), and Parmigiano-Reggiano. As many of the reviewers pointed out, it's not really that cheesy of a flavor, and these are all fairly expensive cheeses (compared to cheddar) (although most of them we had in our cheese drawer already). It's fine, but I don't know if I would make it again-- I don't care about the calories in mac-n-cheese at this point of my life :-P


No comments:

Post a Comment