Sunday, May 26, 2013

Month 4 day 15: Roast Chicken and Cauliflower, featuring soy sauce and lemon juice

Today I made:
Honey-and-Lemon-Glazed Roast Chicken, Food & Wine May 2012
Cauliflower Tabouli, Food Network May 2010


I'm curious about the glazes for roast chicken. Unless you removed the skin or something, aren't they always going to be just superficial? This lemon, honey, and soy sauce made the skin a really nice golden-brown and gave it some good flavor, but I don't normally eat the skin. The flavor didn't really permeate into the meat. Something strange is that it started at a high temp and then got cooler. I thought normally you would go the other direction to make the skin crispy at the end. Instead, 30 minutes into cooking the skin was really crisp, but by the time it finished and spent 15 minutes resting, the skin was pretty soft. Oh well. It's a roast chicken, and those are always good.
The cauliflower tabouli is supposed to be made with grated raw cauliflower. I decided that since the oven was on anyway, I would just roast the florets a little bit first. Then, they were too hot to grate so I just chopped them roughly. So this wasn't much of a tabouli-like dish, but was just a salad. It tasted fine, but was nothing too special. Strangely, it also has soy sauce in it, which is not something I associate with tabouli.

No comments:

Post a Comment