Monday, May 13, 2013

Month 4 day 8: Banh Mi and slaw

Today I made:
Banh Mi-Style Roast Beef Sandwiches, Cooking Light May 2010
Bell Pepper Slaw, Food Network Magazine May 2010


I'm not sure why the recipe is for "Banh Mi-Style" sandwiches instead of just being for "Banh Mi." I guess it's probably not very authentic, and they're being humble about it. But then, how can you say "roast beef" when it's a steak cooked in a skillet? Anyway, this was a nice sandwich. We love the banh mi at the Momogoose food truck, but they've been slipping recently in my opinion, so I haven't been going (plus, now we have homemade leftovers everyday for lunch). This had a lot of the same flavors. G's was spicy, but mine wasn't so much, so I wonder if his got all the jalapeƱo slices. This recipe was very quick and easy to make. I ran out of rice vinegar, so I topped up with red wine vinegar. We haven't had radishes in a while, but I like them. The recipe called for flank steak, but I wasn't sure what pseudonyms it goes by, so I grabbed randomly: chuck steak. It was a little grisley, so I don't think it was right. Now that I look at it, I think our grocery store calls it London Broil. I should probably get an app that decodes the names of meat cuts, because this comes up most weeks.
I felt like the slaw could've been good as a sandwich topping. In fact, I sopped up some of the juice with the last bite of bread and it was nice. The slaw tasted, and felt, nice and fresh because of the crispy bell peppers. It's a little miraculous how something with mayonnaise can taste so light, but compared to normal cole slaw I think this was more vinegar-centric than mayo-centric. It was nice and tart. When I went grocery shopping, I thought the mustard seed and celery seed on my list was for pickles later this week and opted for a more complete "pickling spice" instead of getting the two separate. Only now did I realize that I wanted those without the allspice and juniper berries... so we just did without the spices, but it was still flavorful enough. G wasn't a huge fan-- he said there was too much mustard (!? I ran out and it was so much more subtle than we've had in other dishes he didn't complain about...). But he did like the sandwiches. I think I'll keep both recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment