Thursday, October 3, 2013

Month 8 day 23: Chicken tostadas and rice

Today I made:

Chicken Tostadas and Avocado Dressing, Cooking Light September 2011
Mexican Rice, Cooking Light September 2011



This was ok, but not great. The avocado we got, for like $2 at Shaws, was super funky and brown on the inside and seemed kind of off :( It made us not really want to have too much of the dressing. I used the roast chicken we had in the freezer from the tea smoked chicken a couple weeks back, so every once in a while you'd get a bite of Sichuan pepper or something that didn't seem to fit. The Mexican rice wasn't particularly flavorful either.

The main benefit of this recipe is that I couldn't find queso fresco, but grabbed the next closest-sounding thing-- queso blanco. When I tasted it, I realized that this is a kind of cheese we often used to get (growing up in Central California, Mexican-style cheeses are easier to find than they are over here) that I really liked but had mostly forgotten about. It's good! I'm glad to have rediscovered it.

No comments:

Post a Comment