Friday, October 25, 2013

Month 9 day 16: Two strata face-off and sausages

Today I mostly made:
Pear and Gruyere Strata, Cooking Light October 2011
Sourdough Strata with Tomatoes and Greens, Food Network Magazine October 2010
Spiced Maple Sausage Patties, Food Network Magazine October 2010

There were two interesting-looking strata recipes this month, so I decided to make them both at the same time and see which was better. One's sweet and one's savory, so they're not really in the same categories, but oh well.
The sweet strata is: pear, cinnamon swirl bread, and Gruyere.
The savory strata is: roasted tomatoes and kale, sourdough, and fontina and parmesan.
Both of these, and the sausage patties that accompanied the sourdough strata recipe are assembled the night before.

I didn't want to make three recipes that each had 6+ servings, so I halved everything and we invited over a few friends. But, halving recipes always allows for some errors... I shredded the full four ounces of Gruyere and sprinkled them over the pears while thinking "wow, even though I halved this recipe this really looks closer to a cup than half a cup... they were really off." I realized my mistake right after putting the last pieces on, but decided to just leave it. I also forgot to peel the pears, and I put the full amount of sugar on the pears.

Everything looks good!

No comments:

Post a Comment