Saturday, October 12, 2013

Month 9 day 6: Feijoada #2

Today I made:
Brazilian Black Bean Stew, Every Day with Rachael Ray October 2011


We made feijoada once before from a Cooking Light recipe. I was curious to try Rachael Ray's recipe, which is supposed to only take one hour, to see how it holds up to the other one, which takes 10 hours (most of that is slow cooker time). Even though I added very little salt and basically no spices, it was quite salty (bacon?) and flavorful. The recipe called for it to be served next to collard greens, boiled and then briefly heated through with garlic (and bacon grease).

This was pretty good, and it's hard to remember the other recipe. But when I look back at that post, I realize that the consistency was really different. For that, the meat was so well-cooked that it just shredded itself, making a dense stew, whereas this is more like a soup with chunks of meat in a broth. I think if you have the time, you might as well do the slow cooker version. But if not, this is a good one too. I think it does take more than an hour, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment