Saturday, October 12, 2013

Month 9 day 7: Korean BBQ

Today I made:
Grilled Korean-Style Skirt Steak, Food Network Magazine
served with bacon fried rice and grilled acorn squash



I made Korean BBQ before once too (have I run through all the recipe categories now?), but I think this one was better.
The magazine version of this recipe calls for a half-pound of bacon to be added to the marinade, which are then supposed to be used for kimchi fried rice. It was taken out in the online version of the recipe, after many reviewers were confused about what to do with it, haha. I didn't follow the kimchi fried rice recipe, but I just cooked the bacon up with some grated ginger, scallions, and then pushed that to the side and scrambled an egg before adding the rice and some soy sauce. It turned out really good I thought, probably because it was all cooked in the grease from a half-pound of bacon...
The marinade is interesting, with some soda in it. Wedges of onions get to soak too, and then they're grilled first-- they taste pretty good. You're also supposed to grill some banana or Cubanelle peppers too. I thought that's what I was getting, but when I took a big bite (expecting it to be mild), I was very surprised-- we might have gotten the much spicier, but similarly colored, hungarian wax pepper. Ouch!

The flavors were very bold all around, and it was good. G thought it was pretty good too. The grilled squash was a nice, mild contrast to everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment